I found myself staring absently into space. I was in a fleet with fellow PIE members, having just finished securing a major installation for the Amarr Empire. Perhaps fleet is the wrong word. We were only three people strong, having only been two a short while ago. The other Ensign and I had both found ourselves wanting to fight, so we rallied together and formed our “fleet.” We met another PIE pilot out securing the major installation, though he did wish to join us. I believe he was on his last leg, and would be turning in for the night.
I want to put in my initial combat time, to gain the trust of the other pilots. I need them to know that I am dependable, reliable. That I will respond to a call to arms. I know they want me to go of my own volition as well, to not be asked, and such volunteering is how I found myself staring into the vast emptiness of space, waiting for more members to join our fledgling fleet. Solo operations will be sometime in the future. I do not trust in my current skills to get me out of a duel alive. So I shall continue to train, learn, and experience, until the day I am confident enough to hunt for my own targets. For now, I will continue to operate with wingmates.
I recalled the first combat op I attended, a bit of a marathon, what seemed to be an endurance test. We spent most of our time looking for a target we could engage. I enjoyed the time I spent with my fellow pilots; they worked well together, and we faced little problems. However, the targets we could face were few and far between. It seems the Minmatar subscribe to the “Safety in Numbers” strategy, and will not venture out in anything less than a fleet of 15, too formidable a target for our small gang. Most of our time was spent dodging the larger gate camps, and staging a few temporary ones of our own. We did come across one target we were able to destroy, a destroyer of Caldari design. Unfortunately, I did not arrive in time to assist, and merely witnessed the light show that was his fiery end. We had engaged several other war targets, but all managed to escape through jump gates, or were quickly assisted by a large number of reinforcements.
There is a saying among the other PIE pilots, an “Industrialist with Teeth.” This is what I hope to become. To both serve on the line, and behind it providing the Empire's strongest defenders with the tools to destroy its enemies. Industry is my passion, mining is my profession. I will fly with the Praetorians, supporting them on and off of the battlefield. I made a pledge to serve, and no matter what, I intend to uphold it.
I remember back before I dedicated myself to service to the Empire, back when I was just a Lossan capsuleer miner making his living. Don’t get me wrong, I would never directly do anything to harm the Empire, but I did make my share of non-Amarrian ships. I flew some as well. I remember working for hours, what must have amounted to 24 or so total, mining various ores in order to produce 10 Brutixes for sale. I had produced many ships before, but this was the most demanding so far. I flew them to the Bleaks to sell them, hoping that they’d either serve some of the more “liberal” militia members, or be shot down while being flown by the enemy, necessitating another purchase.
So, as I sat there, examining the void, I realized that my days of mining were ending, if only for a while. I am currently only able to fly a Retriever, a solid ship that has served me well, but not strong enough to harvest the vast amount of ore I would need in a reasonable amount of time. I will have to leave my chosen profession behind for a while, and take up the mantle of a soldier. I have died before, my original body lost some time ago. I no longer fear death. I only fear failure. Not a failure that will harm me, but a failure of mine that will harm my comrades. I shall continue to spend time at the front, to increase my experience, and minimize my mistakes. My life as a full time miner has come to an end. My time as a soldier has only begun.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.