I was ready to give up completely when I heard the news. With no flight and no wife, what did I need all the trappings of this former life for anyways? I returned to a completely new Empire. The war had gone on unaffected by my absence, and so has, seemlingly, everyone else, including the woman I once called my fiance.
She told me a few days ago. It was over. She could not commit. Before she walked out taht door for good, she made sure to leave her ring behind, showing no intention of returning. What I lost her to I do not know, but it seems my fears were correct. I have wished many times that I had not returned, but stayed abroad.
I was ready to resign my commission, something I had taken from me the last time I returned from a short leave of absence, only to get back upon request. Now I was going to freely give it up, give everything up, and start over anew somewhere else. Everything, everyone reminded me of what I had lost. Of what my life had used to have been. Of what gnawed at my very core from the day I had heard. Captain Laerise Fierach told me to press charges against her. I've almost had enough of this Captain myself, though I can't help but wonder what took Shalee from me, and if it is reason to be angry.
However, Captain Newelle convinced me to stay. I had planned on resigning my commission to her, the most trusted of all my superiors, my mentor from the first day I joined. She, however, would have none of that. She has convinced me not only to throw away everything, but to keep it all, soldier on, and do better.
I need something to focus on, to divert my thoughts from the troubles plaguing me. The Captain has done much for me, and I owe her greatly. I shall devote myself for the time being to serving her to the best of my capabilities. At a time when all is lost, I won't be.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.