Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Rescue

It was another typical tour through Republic High "Security" space. Raphael sat in his pod inside his Thrasher. Part of him hated himself for piloting the flying junker, preferring to fly in a proper warship. But the Thrasher served him a few important functions: First, it allowed a bit of cover, as Republic ships in Republic Space garnered a less attention. Second, destroying the TLF's ships with their own inside their supposedly 'safe' Reublic far from the front lines of the warzone was satisfying.

He was sitting in the station getting minor repairs done and surveying those connected to the local bands, looking for members of the TLF, when a small chime let him know that someone was trying to contact him. It came from the docks, and he figured it'd some worker who was planning on giving him a peice of his mind having had found out he was a soldier of the Empire. Raphael pulled up the small text message that came with the request for audio.

You fight for the Empire? Have you been to the Mandate?

Well, it seemed he was half-right, at least. The question about the Mandate peaked his curiosity, and he allowed the audio channel to open.

"Hello?" came the soft voice, a young woman by the sound of it.

"Yes?" Raphael asked, wondering what it was she had to say.

"Are you a soldier for the Amarr?" she asked, sounding curious more than anything else.

"Why do you ask?"

"I was born in the Mandate. I grew up there. I haven't talked to anyone from there in a long time. This area, even up here away from the surface, still holds a great hate for the Mandate. I don't tell anyone of my origins. I...I guess I just wanted to talk." There was a slight sigh at the end of her remark.

Raphael laughed slightly. "You messaged a capsuleer for a chat?"

She seemed to pick up that he wasn't scolding her. "Yeah, I guess," she replied with a slghtly lilting chuckle. "I guess I just want to have one positive chat about home."

Raphael talked with the young girl for some time, enjoying her insights on both the Republic and the Mandate, the discussion turning from culture to politics quickly. After a lengthy back-and-forth about the current war and her small case of homesickness, the young dock worker reminded Raphael that with as much time that had passed, the Republic Fleet probably had a whole armada outside the station ready to intercept him.

"Yeah," Raphael replied, "but when your ship's mass is seventy-five percent empty space, you can move rather quickly." He paused for a moment. "Do you want to come with?"

There was a lengthy pause on the other end before she answered with firm confidence. "Yes."

There wasn't too much extra space on a Thrasher modified for capsuleer use, but Raphael found space for her. With this extra bit of cargo, Raphael kept off of the main routes in Republic space after slipping by the waiting fleet, making it back to Imperial space. After Raphael decanted and dressed, he went to go meet his passenger in person.

"You're taller than I imagined," she said with a pleasant smile. "Thank you for bringing me."

"You're a bright young girl," Raphael said, nodding at her. "If you have trouble finding a job, we may be able to use you."

"Well you've certainly changed my views on some things and have made me think," she replied.

"Make sure to check up with the local aid station to innoculate yourself against any local viruses and to make sure you don't transfer any foreign ones," Raphael advised her.

She nodded and bid him farewell. Raphael sent a quck message to the aid station to tell to expect her. An hour into his next patrol, he recieved a message from the aid station. Two bright green words flashed on his display.

CAPSULE COMPATIBLE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.